In April of 1970 Reverend John Harrington and Pastor Thomas E. Hammond conceived the idea of forming a Senior Citizen group for our community.
After several months of discussion and planning, a grand opening was planned. Reverend William D. Lyons graciously offered the use of the Immaculate Conception Catholic School auditorium for the meetings and even extended a loan to get the group started.
The group officially opened on Wednesday, October 7, 1970 and to the amazement of many, a large crowd cam to share in the new adventure. A contest was held to select a name for the group and it became known as the "Happy Seniors of Northwest Queens."
The objectives of the Club shall be for the members to meet together:
- for mutual diversion and to assist each other and our community in any way possible,
- to promote constructive activities for men and women,
- to promote sociability and develop mutual interests,
- to increase, by group discussion, a knowledge of current problems, and
- to show concern for members who are ill or shut-in.
If you are interested in joining please contact the Rectory.